返回列表 回覆 發帖

N-1

Senior Hadleigh clergyman charged with voyeurism offences
Mr Thrower, of Church Street, Hadleigh, was arrested at the Buttermarket in Ipswich on August 4, on suspicion of voyeurism. He was interviewed and was bailed to return to police, to allow further enquiries to be carried out. On Tuesday he was brought back into custody at Martlesham Police Investigation Centre to be formally charged with eight voyeurism offences.

These relate to incidents dating back to 2014 including six offences this year, on March 20, April 20, May 26, June 29, July 20 and August 4, where males were filmed while in public toilets. He is due to appear before Ipswich Magistrates on December 19.

John Howard, spokesman for the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, said: “I can confirm that The Very Revd Martin Thrower, Rector of Hadleigh, Layham and Shelley, has been charged with voyeurism. He remains suspended from all offices within the diocese until further notice.

“We have ongoing arrangements to look after all his church roles, including an experienced interim priest covering his parish duties.

“We continue to offer support to all his parishes at this challenging time and can make no further comment while legal proceedings are ongoing. Our thoughts and prayers are very much with everyone affected by this.”
http://www.suffolkfreepress.co.u ... -offences-1-7683253
Don't know where God is but the Devil is in the details
Rome clergyman reportedly put on leave over abuse allegations

A Rome clergyman is now on a leave of absence as a direct order from the Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse.
The diocese says they are investigating details of an abuse allegation in connection with Rev. Paul Angelicchio of the St. John the Baptist and Transfiguration parish. He has been put on a leave of absence until further notice.
The diocese says the allegations of abuse reportedly involved a minor in an incident that occurred 27 years ago.
The diocese also says the allegation has not been substantiated, but that according to protocol, Father Angelicchio is not able to function as a priest until the matter is resolved.
Father Angelicchio has worked in the Rome area since 2011. Previously, he served in several different churches throughout the Syracuse region, as well as serving as police chaplain for the city's police department.
http://www.wktv.com/news/405602185.html
Clergyman charged over child sex offences, NSW
A clergyman will appear in court today charged with allegedly sexually assaulting a child who was in his care at Bexley, NSW Police say.

Following extensive inquiries, investigators from the State Crime Command Child Abuse Squad arrested a 72-year-old man in Penshurst about 6.25pm yesterday, today.

Police will allege in court the Reverend sexually assaulted a male child aged between 8 and 12 years.

He was taken to St George Police Station where he was charged with aggravated indecent assault – under authority (x 3) and engaging in acts of child prostitution.

The man was refused bail to appear before Sutherland Local Court tomorrow.

Police encourage any person who has been a victim of any kind of sexual violence, no matter how long ago the incident occurred, to contact police.

Reports can be made at any police station.
http://www.miragenews.com/clergy ... d-sex-offences-nsw/
Former St. Paul's School Chaplain Charged With Sexual Assault

A former Episcopal priest who worked at several elite boarding schools has been charged with sexually assaulting a 16-year-old boy in 1973 in Boston.

The Boston Globe reports that Howard "Howdy" White pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Suffolk Superior Court after being indicted on five counts of assault and battery. White, of Bedford, Pennsylvania, was freed on personal recognizance.

Prosecutors say White assaulted the boy during two overnight trips to Boston, when he worked at St. George's School in Middletown, Rhode Island.

An investigator's report about abuse at St. George's found multiple allegations against White including in New Hampshire, where he worked at St. Paul's School, in West Virginia and in Waynesville, North Carolina, where White was a rector.

White was the subject of an investigation by the Concord, N.H. police after a former St. Paul's Student came forward with an allegation of assault earlier this year. (Read that story.)

He also worked at boarding schools in Virginia and North Carolina.
http://nhpr.org/post/former-st-p ... rged-sexual-assault
Former St. George's Chaplain Charged With Sexual Assault
Howard "Howdy" White, a former associate chaplain at St. George’s School in Middletown, pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Boston to charges of assault and battery. He's accused of assaulting a then 16-year-old St. George’s student during two trips to Boston more than 40 years ago.

A former Episcopal priest, White, now 75, was arraigned in Suffolk County Superior Court. Jake Wark, spokesman for the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office, said the alleged offenses involve sexual assault, but that charge was not an available option for prosecutors to use against White.

"Were the case to be charged today," said Wark, "he would likely have been indicted for indecent assault and battery, but as of 1973, when these crimes occurred, that statute did not yet exist in Massachusetts.”

A grand jury indicted White last month. Wark said the case was developed from information provided by Rhode Island state police.

“Some of the information that Rhode Island state police developed in the course of their investigation was useful to us in charging cases here in Massachusetts” said Wark.

Rhode Island police investigated widespread allegations of sexual abuse at St. George’s School by White and others, but concluded their probe in June unable to bring a criminal case in Rhode Island, primarily because the statute of limitations had run out on potential charges.

The assault charges in Massachusetts also carry statutes of limitations, but they apply to only Massachusetts residents. Because White never lived in Massachusetts, he could be charged under the law, Wark said.  

White, who now lives in Bedford, Pennsylvania, has been accused of sexual abuse going back years, relating to his clerical positions in New Hampshire and North Carolina, as well as Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

Earlier this year, White was removed from the priesthood by the Episcopal Diocese of Central Pennsylvania because of the abuse allegations. He had not been charged with any crimes, until now. His trial in Massachusetts is scheduled to begin in June.   
http://ripr.org/post/former-st-g ... rged-sexual-assault
2016 Excalibur finalist the Rev. David Beauvais: Rockford priest inspires, contributes

The Rockford Register Star's Excalibur award is given to an individual for community service, excellence and making a difference in the Rock River Valley. The Excelsior award goes to an organization for doing the same. The Rev. David Beauvais is an Excalibur finalist.

Name: The Rev. David E. Beauvais

Birthplace: Mundelein

Background: After decades ministering at area churches, including Holy Family and St. James in Rockford, the Rev. David Beauvais began a working retirement in 2006. Since becoming a priest more than 50 years ago, he obtained his master's degree in social work and was director of the Diocese of Rockford Catholic Charities, helping grow adoption, immigration and counseling services. A parish hall he spearheaded at St. James is named Beauvais Center in his honor, and he helped form the Rockford Diocese Foundation. He raised money to establish the Rosecrance (Mildred) Berry Center. He has served on myriad of boards, including Janet Wattles Center and Family Counseling Services. He is actively serving on the board at Carpenter's Place. He helped raise millions for local agencies and their charitable causes. He also participates in Hope for Haitians and Yeshua Catholic International Leadership Institute. Although retired, Beauvais often celebrates Mass at churches throughout the diocese on behalf of vacationing or ill priests.

What a nominator said: "Father Beauvais is defined by many as inspirational. He is one person who has made lasting contributions toward creating a better world right here in our community. He inspires others by not only his achievements but also his attitude and values. He is able to meet others where they are in their lives without judgment or condemnation." - Mary Ann Abate, vice president of public policy for Rosecrance

What inspires you to serve the church and the community?
I am reminded that, "God sent his only son into the world." I believe his son sent me into the community, and it is a blessing to me and the people I meet in service.

The Rev. David E. Beauvais is a finalist for the Rockford Register Star's Excalibur Award. The retired priest was photographed Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2016, at St. James Catholic Church, where he was a longtime pastor.
The Rev. David E. Beauvais is a finalist for the Rockford Register Star's Excalibur Award. The retired priest was photographed Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2016, at St. James Catholic Church, where he was a longtime pastor.
My family was very involved in my home parish in Mundelein. Our pastor had a great sensitivity in serving people in need, which impressed me as a teenager. He urged me to enter the seminary as he believed I could help people.

As I have grown in church ministry, I gravitated toward the service component. I was invited to pursue a master's of social work degree for service leadership for Catholic Charities.

I have found that priestly ministry and social service are very compatible. I was given opportunities to serve the wider community with other religious leaders. I have enjoyed service in the various agencies of the Rockford community.

You have advised and counseled people in matters of family, faith and life for decades in the Rock River Valley. What is the biggest challenge they face?
In my counseling practice since I graduated from Loyola in 1973, I have learned from and been inspired by many people, especially families.

The biggest challenge I observe helping people work through their family struggles is to let go of past hurts and resentments. Our Christian faith compels us to work through things so that we can follow the example of Jesus in forgiving each other. The ability to forgive is essential to moving forward to enjoy a quality of life with those we should love.

Jesus clearly teaches us: "I come that you may have life and love it in abundance." (John 10:10)

What is something that needs to happen to improve life in the Rockford area?
I often urge: "Be kind to one another."

I believe we must mobilize all the resources in the community to help families enjoy a quality of life. All people need decent employment so they can give their families the basic necessities of life.

In moral theology, there is a concept of the family living wage to which all workers should be entitled. I also believe that our many faith communities should provide support for all members to share moral values that give people a sense of being loved and respected. An author, John Powell, wrote that "there are only two potential tragedies in life: to live and not love and to never express affection and appreciation."

We all need to foster love, respect and dignity.

If you had $1 million, what would you do with it?
I would either distribute it to local agencies that serve the poor, or set up a trust that would annually distribute the earnings to help the poor have a better quality of life and celebrate their gifts of service.
India priest gets double life sentence for child rape

Tue 13 Dec 2016
By Premier Journalist
An Indian Catholic priest will spend the rest of his life in jail after being found guilty of raping a child.

Fr Edwin Figarez, 41, was the parish priest at Lourdes Matha Church in Kerala in the south of the country.

He was found guilty under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act for exploiting a 14-year-old-girl's interest in music in order to sexually abuse her on multiple occasions between January and March 2015.

The girl told her mother what happened to her in April 2015, by which time her abuser had fled to Dubai. Fr Figarez returned to Kerala in May 2015 and was questioned by police before being detained.

The brother of the priest, Silvesto Figarez, also received a one-year sentence for helping the priest evade capture.

Dr Ajitha, a government physician, was also found guilty of failing to report the sexual abuse after she had examined the girl.

The Kottapuram diocese where he served initially dismissed the allegations against the priest but stripped him of duties after police confirmed the charges were true.
https://www.premier.org.uk/News/ ... ence-for-child-rape
EC church pastor in court for rape
2016-12-13 06:20
Mpho Raborife, News24
Magistrate's court. (Duncan Alfreds, News24)
Butterworth - A church pastor who is accused of raping the 18-year-old girl he was tasked with healing appeared in the Butterworth Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

The 43-year-old made a brief appearance and the matter was postponed to December 15 for a formal bail application, police spokesperson Captain Jackson Manatha said.

The man allegedly took the girl to a bridge in Butterworth last Wednesday to wash her with traditional medicine to treat her illness.

While there, he allegedly touched her genitals. No one else was at the scene, Manatha said at the time.

The man drove the teenager back to her home, only to pick her up again half an hour later. He drove her to a shack in Ibika township, Butterworth, where he told her to get undressed.

“The pastor also took off his clothes. The victim was instructed to lie on the bed. She was then allegedly raped by the suspect.”

The man took the girl home. Soon after he left, she told her sister what had happened.

A case was opened at the Msobomvu police station and the man was arrested on Friday afternoon.

Police said the man was a pastor at a Zion Christian Church (ZCC) in the area. They visited the church and received confirmation that he was a pastor there.

However, his family told police that the man had left the church a few years ago and become a herbalist.

Malicious

Manatha told News24 that when the man was charged on Friday, he was asked what his occupation was. He said he was a ZCC pastor.

In a statement, the ZCC said News24’s report on the man was “malicious” and denied he was one of its members.

The church said it was highly unlikely that the man was a pastor with the church because the last time its leader, Barnabas Lekganyane, appointed a priest was in 1998.

“In terms of the ZCC’s rules and regulations, only Bishop Dr Lekganyane can ordain the priests. Candidates have to be married adults with at least five years’ membership in good standing.

“Judging by the suspect’s age, 43, he would have been 25 years [old] when Lekganyane last ordained priests,” the church said in its statement.   

The church said it had two branches: one which Lekganyane led (which used a star emblem) and another to which the man allegedly belonged, St Engenas ZCC (which used a dove emblem).
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfric ... t-for-rape-20161213
PASTOR CAUGHT RAPING CHILD
A SAN Fernando pastor was arrested in Sangre Grande for allegedly sexually assaulting a 14 year old girl.

The 26-year old pastor, of Pleasantville, was allegedly caught in the act by police officers.

On Tuesday, residents informed police that a child dressed in school uniform was allegedly seen in a man's vehicle on their street.

Officers responded and allegedly found the man having sex with the school girl under an almond tree at the side of the road.

The pastor was taken into custody by the Sangre Grande police, and the girl was interviewed by officers of the Child Protection Unit.

The suspect was expected to be charged with statutory rape.

He is expected to appear before a Sangre Grande magistrate.
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/2 ... ving-sex-with-child
Pastor accused of sexual abuse to make court appearance after Thanksgiving

A Texarkana pastor accused of sexually abusing two girls he met through his work as a clergyman is scheduled to appear for arraignment on nine felonies and one misdemeanor the week after Thanksgiving.

David Wayne Farren, 41, was arrested twice in August on warrants accusing him of sexual misconduct. He is currently free on a total $40,000 bond.

Earlier this month a criminal information was signed by Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Connie Mitchell charging Farren with nine felonies and one misdemeanor. Counts one through seven allege Farren had sex with a minor, “and was in a position of trust or authority over the victim and used the position of trust or authority to engage in sexual intercourse or deviate sexual activity,” with the girl.

All seven counts of first-degree sexual assault allegedly occurred beginning in April 2013 and continuing through August 2013. Count eight alleges Farren engaged in sexual contact with the same girl beginning in April 2012 and continuing through August 2013.

Count nine accuses Farren of engaging in sexual contact with a second girl in 2007. The tenth count alleges Farren violated a law which requires him as a member of the clergy to report child abuse. Farren is accused of knowing a child was a likely victim of abuse in 2012 and failed to notify authorities.

Farren’s name appeared on Circuit Judge Kirk Johnson’s criminal docket Nov. 15. Because Farren’s case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Carlton Jones, Farren’s arraignment hearing has been rescheduled for Nov. 29 when Jones is scheduled to take the bench.

Farren’s Facebook page continues to identify him as lead pastor of Anchor Church in Texarkana. Farren has worked as a pastor and youth minister at other area churches as well.

If convicted, Farren faces six to 30 years on each of the seven first-degree sexual abuse charges. The two second-degree charges are punishable by six to 20 years. All of the nine felonies includes the possibility of a $15,000 fine. The misdemeanor charge involving alleged violation of the mandatory reporting law is punishable by up to a year in the Miller County jail and a fine up to $2,500.

Farren is represented by Texarkana lawyer Jason Horton.
Former chaplain claims ‘revenge’ behind girl’s sex assault allegations

A former priest being sued in the High Court for alleged sexual assault and abuse of a teenager in a school where he was chaplain told a school disciplinary hearing “revenge for not going with her” was the motivation behind the claims.
At that hearing in 2012, the man, who left the priesthood some years ago, denied any sexual activity took place at the girl’s home when her parents were away; when she was babysitting for a neighbour, in the chaplain’s office, the oratory or his car.
He also told the hearing he at one stage pleaded with the girl to stop and and rejected her by telling her to “f*** off”. “I wanted to get out from under her clutches,” he said.
In her High Court proceedings, the now 28-year old woman alleges that between 2004 and 2007 she was repeatedly physically and sexually assaulted, falsely imprisoned and sexually abused, and subjected to sexualised behaviour by the then Catholic chaplain, who was also a teacher in her secondary school.
Aggravated damages
She has sued the man for damages, including aggravated damages. She has also sued the school and the local bishop, who have also denied liability.
The school contends it is not vicariously liable for any alleged actions of the priest and contends the diocesan bishop is liable.
Among her claims is that, during a school trip to Gambia when she was aged 16, the chaplain invited her and another student to sleep in his bed with him. The three of them spent the night together in his bed, she has claimed.
The then priest was very attentive to her on the trip and afterwards sent her private text messages which became increasingly personal and sexual in nature, she claims.
She alleges he bought a mobile phone for the specific purpose of texting her and allegedly advised her they would wait until she was 17 before they could take the relationship further.
ADVERTISEMENT

She claims, a few days after she turned 17, he brought her and some friends to the cinema and kissed her when he took her home.
The court was told the woman first made her allegations in 2011 and a disciplinary hearing at the school was held in October 2012.
In a transcript of that read to the court, the man told the hearing the motivation behind the allegations was “revenge for not going with her”.
He said: “I see obsession all over this.”
Gambia allegations
Referring to the Gambia allegations, he said about 15 students were picked to go on the school trip. He said he let students use the shower attached to his room but that was in the context of returning after a day and being covered in red dirt and had “nothing to do with anything of a sexual nature”.
Addressing the allegation the girl and another student were in his bed with him once in Gambia, he said he woke up and saw somebody beside him and he jumped out of the bed, opened the door and asked them to leave. At no point were they there at his invitation, he said.
He also said he had brought students on about 40 trips and nothing like that happened before. He said he never had sex with the girl or any other student and denied he told the plaintiff he once went to the Phoenix Park and had sex with a woman in a car.
“I have only been in the Phoenix Park three times at the zoo, the papal Mass and running a marathon,” the transcript read.
The case before Mr Justice Robert Eagar continues on Friday.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/c ... legations-1.2889810
道教研究先驱:传教士

2015-05-15 《当代道教》
文/李养正

1993年7月,四川巴蜀书社出版一本《明清间入华耶稣会士和中西文化交流》(法国安田朴、谢和耐等著,狄升译)。书中所收荣振华《入华耶稣会士中的道教史学家》一文,讲述了法国耶稣会士中的一些道教史学家的情况。这里结合其他一些材料,对这个问题略作概述。

马若瑟:“夷希微”即是“耶和华”

约瑟夫·亨利·玛丽·德普雷马雷(Joseph Henri Marie de prémare,1666—1735年),中国名马若瑟,1698年随白晋来华,在江西传教25年。1724年迫于雍正禁令退居广州,1773年迁居澳门。

马氏精通汉文,目的在汉籍中寻找耶稣教信仰的理论和根据。他用拉丁文对《道德经》作了评注,在讨论雅赫维(Yahweh,耶和华)时也关心道教问题,他在《老子》第十四章发现了这一名字:“视之不见名曰夷(Yi),听之不闻名曰希(Hsi),搏之不得名曰微(Wei)。”所以,Yihiwei(雅赫维)等于“夷希微”。

傅圣泽:“道”即是“上帝”

让·弗朗索瓦·富凯(Jean Francoise Foucquet,1663—1740年),中国名傅圣泽,字方济。1699年来华,竭力在中国早期著作中寻找基督教的证据。1720年回欧后,发表了一个大事年表。

他曾对两种《道德经》版本作过笺注,参加了“上帝、天、道”三种术语的讨论,提出“道”字系指基督教徒的最高神——造物主“上帝”,认为“道”相当于“上帝”,也相当于天。对《道德经》作了如下评价:“整部《道德经》仅仅是经文,其中讲到智慧得到发展而形成了道德的模式。”

钱德明:研究道教“功夫”之第一位西方人

让·约瑟夫·玛丽·阿米奥(Jean Joseph Marie Amiot,1718—1793年),汉学家。中国名钱德明,字若瑟。1750年奉派来华,先到澳门,然后转赴北京。因通晓满、汉语文,深获乾隆帝信任,赐氏职,居北京42年,从事学术研究。

他介绍许多中国情况给西方,其著作大都见于1776—l814年出版的16卷丛书《北京传教士关于中国历史、科学、艺术、风俗、习惯录》(Mémoires concernant l’Histoire,Les Sciences,Les Arts,Les Moeurs,Les Usages,etc。des Chinois:Par Les Missionnaires de Pekin)中。

这位神甫试图写一部有关道士教派的历史论著,他于1787年自北京寄往巴黎。这部书也中译为《中国杂纂》,文中特别注意到中国道教的“功夫”问题,可以说他是研究“功夫”的第一位西方人。

戴遂良:研究中国“百科全书式”的人物

莱奥·维厄热(Léon Wieger,1856—1933年),汉学家,中国名戴遂良。1881年来华,在直隶东南耶稣会任教职,大部分时间在献县。开始为医师,后致力于汉学。

他留下了30册几乎各方面都有触及的著作,如:《中国现代民俗》(Folklore Chinois Modeme)(1909年)、《现代中国》(Chine Mordeme,十册,1921—1932年)、《中国宗教信仰及哲学观点通史》(Histoire des croyances religieuses et opinions philosophiques en Chine depuis l’origine jusqu’a nos jours,1917年初版,1922年和1927年在献县出了第二、三版,同年出了英译本,1969年在纽约重版,1976年再译成英文本,译名为《道教:中国的哲学》)。

1911年出版了两卷本《道教》(Taoisme):第一卷:《总目录》,包括(1)《道藏》,(2)官修引得和私修引得。书中还有《号数推算表》和《道藏分类表》,20世纪30年代哈佛燕京学社所编《道藏子母引得》就参考过这部著作。1913年在献县出第二卷:《道教的天师》(Les Pères du système Taoisme),共分三部分:(1)老子,(2)《列子》,(3)《庄子》。

法国耶稣会士译介中国道经的成果,对后世西方汉学界的道教研究颇有影响。
Records: Catholic priest crashed vehicle before DWI arrest

Weslaco police arrested a Catholic priest Sunday night after he crashed his vehicle and failed a sobriety test, according to a criminal complaint.
At about 11 p.m., officers responded to a one-vehicle accident at 600 S. Texas Boulevard.
When police arrived, Carlos Zuniga, 51, was found in the front seat of his grey 2015 Land Rover, according to the criminal complaint. Zuniga is a priest at St. Pius X Catholic Church, according to the church website.Zuniga had unsteady balance, blood shot eyes, a strong odor of alcohol on his breath, and his speech was slurred, according to the criminal complaint.
Police conducted a field sobriety test in which Zuniga failed, according to the criminal complaint.
Zuniga was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated, a Class B misdemeanor. A judge handed him a $5,000 personal recognizance bond.
http://valleycentral.com/news/lo ... e-before-dwi-arrest
Catholic Priest is sentenced to double life in prison for rape of minor girl

Criminals are to be found in all walks of life. A case has now emerged from among the Christian Catholic community where a Catholic priest repeatedly raped a young girl. The rapes took place from 2015 in the Indian state of Kerala. The girl complained to her mother, who immediately went to the police. An investigation was done and the priest was arrested for rape. He was charged under the Protection of Children from sexual offenses act ( POCSO). It appears that after a sermon the priest would lure the minor girl to his chamber for the gratification of his lust. The news is reported by NDTV in its evening broadcast.
http://us.blastingnews.com/news/ ... girl-001317071.html
Priests arrested in child sex abuse scandal in Mendoza province

Two priests and three employees of an institute for children with hearing problems were arrested in Lujan de Cuyo in Mendoza province this week, on accusations that they sexually abused at least 60 children.
The suspects, 82-year-old priest Nicolás Corradi and 55-year-old priest Horacio Corbacho, along with employee José Luis Ojeda, and two others are accused of carrying out shocking abuse and raping students for years.
“The children say that they were taken to a place in the institute called the “House of God”, and the victims would see what would happen behind the door ... they saw the priests engage in oral sex, and other sexual acts” said prosecutor Fabricio Sidoti.
The prosecutor highlighted that the children were between 10 and 12 years old, and alleged that at the time of the abuse they still didn’t know how to use sign language, or know how to communicate fully. The investigation, which has shocked the province, exploded after Radical senator Daniela García was told about the sex abuse by a member of the Mendoza Movement for Deaf People, who is now a witness.
None of the three suspects being held in custody were reported to have resisted arrest. It later emerged that Corradi, the elder priest accused of sex abuse, is also wanted in another case presented by sex abuse victims in Washington DC in 2015. The 82-year-old priest is accused of sexually abusing deaf children, dating back to 1955 in Verona, Italy. “We were consulted from Italy if this priest resided in Argentina. This happened two years ago. In 2009, more than 50 priests who belonged to the Próvolo institute in Verona were denounced for sexual abuse that occurred between the 1950s and 1980s,” said Carlos Lombardi, the lawyer for a group of survivors of clerical sex abuse.
The lawyer said that what happened didn’t surprise him.
“Everything the Church does is covered up, hidden, the Church hides everything,” said Lombardi to the UNO newspaper.
It is believed that the priests were sent to the Próvolo Institute’s headquarters in Mendoza and La Plata, under an internal “pact of silence” inside the Church.
Following the scandal, Mendoza Governor Alfredo Cornejo’s administration asked the Archdiocese of Mendoza province to provide a list of all the priests in the Mendoza, so they can continue investigating whether more could have been possibly involved in the sex abuse of minors.
http://www.buenosairesherald.com ... in-mendoza-province
Anglican priest from Secret Harbour church charged with child sex abuse
The priest, 64, has been accused of sexually assaulting the girl between August 2010 and November 2011 while working at a church in Secret Harbour, north of Mandurah.

The child was 10 when the abuse allegedly began.

The man has been charged with three counts of indecent dealing with a child under 13 and one count of persistent sexual contact with a child under 16.

He is due to appear in the Rockingham Magistrates Court.

Police said the charges resulted from an investigation into alleged historical child sexual offences.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016- ... busing-girl/8114876
Jubilee Year of Mercy at Catholic Charities

This year was no ordinary year for Catholic Charities and the Diocese of Camden. Indeed, it was no ordinary year for the Catholic Church. Pope Francis declared a Jubilee Year of Mercy which began on Dec. 8, 2015 (the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary) and concluded on Nov. 20, 2016 (the Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe). A jubilee year marks a special time for forgiveness and stands as a reminder of God’s providence and mercy. The dedication of a year for this purpose provides the faithful with a time to come back into right relationship with one another and with God.

These themes of mercy, forgiveness and solidarity are core to the mission of Catholic Charities. So it was with great joy and renewal of spirit that Catholic Charities, Diocese of Camden, embraced the pope’s call to action by bringing particular focus this year on many corporal works of mercy: sheltering the homeless, feeding the hungry, visiting the imprisoned, and clothing the naked, and welcoming the stranger.

Sheltering the Homeless

Catholic Charities, Diocese of Camden, believes that adequate housing is the first necessary step out of poverty. Without the stability of a roof over their heads, individuals are left incapable of addressing other barriers to self-sufficiency, like addiction, mental health challenges, or lack of employment. Along with providing temporary housing, Catholic Charities works resolutely with each homeless individual and accompanies him or her on the difficult path that leads to the dignity of being able to afford a place to stay.

Francis Smith, a client of Catholic Charities, went from living out of the trunk of a car in a junkyard to securing a job and finding an apartment to call his home.

“I was worried that things would never fall back into place for me,” Smith said, “but I just needed hope. And I needed a push. And Catholic Charities gave me both of those things.”

Another client, Beena O’Neil, was one day away from becoming homeless after moving to New Jersey to care for her sick sister. As a single mother of two, one of whom needed constant care due to medical conditions, Beena could barely keep her head above water. However, Catholic Charities staff was able to secure her a home, find schools for her children, and put her on a career path.

“They helped us find an apartment, and helped us with our first month’s rent and our deposit. Before we moved in, they even put furniture and kitchen supplies and beds in there for my boys,” Beena explained. “That’s God at work.”

Francis and Beena are just two of the 28,000 people in the six counties of the Camden Diocese assisted by Catholic Charities and given a fresh start through the Catholic Charities Veteran Housing services, rental assistance and housing counseling, utilities assistance, disaster response, first-time homebuyers’ savings program, and the emergency furniture warehouse.

Brian Wagner, a Catholic Charities staff member, collects cucumbers in Pedricktown during the Staff Day of Service. This was one of many events to provide healthy food to those who need it most. Almost 500 pounds of food were distributed every day during the Year of Mercy.Feeding the Hungry

Operating food pantries goes back to Catholic Charities’ earliest roots as the Catholic Aid Society in 1936, recognizing that access to healthy food is a fundamental human right and essential to upholding each person’s God-given dignity.

Six food pantries operate across the six Southern New Jersey counties that are served by Catholic Charities. In Salem County, one in seven people is food insecure. Food insecurity, or a lack of access to adequate and nutritious food, means that people must make impossible choices between paying for housing, bills or medicine, and food.

In response, Salem County’s Healthy Eating Program held several events throughout the year including fresh food drives, providing nutrition education, and conducting workshops to instruct shoppers how to make wise food-buying choices and how to get the most out of their food dollars.

In July, staff members from Catholic Charities, Diocese of Camden got to experience “gleaning” — the practice of allowing the poor to harvest the surplus produce from a farmer’s field — during their Staff Day of Mercy on July 14. Farmer Brian Porch of Porch Farms in Pedricktown had a bumper crop of cucumbers this year. As a member of Farmers Against Hunger, he contacted the organization, and a team of 20 volunteers spent the day at Porch Farms gleaning his surplus produce for distribution to the poor. Over the span of two hours, the group picked 2,600 pounds of cucumbers.

Theresa Robinson, a single mother who works three jobs to support her three children and one grandchild, spoke of her gratitude toward Catholic Charities for supporting her throughout her several battles with cancer. “I am blessed,” she said. “I am blessed and thankful for the pantries that help me feed my family.”
Visiting the Imprisoned

Catholic Charities is a mobilizer of 105 volunteers who bring Catholic ministry to the nine correctional facilities within the Diocese of Camden. Through training, support, resources, and building bridges, the agency helps to expand a Catholic presence in these institutions. Involvement in faith-based groups during incarceration has been proven to lower the rate of recidivism.

Throughout the year, Bishop Dennis Sullivan makes a visit to each of these facilities, and inmates are encouraged by his visits. Deacon Jim Hallman, the Prison Ministry Coordinator at Catholic Charities, reflected recently on the meaningful encounters between the inmates and Bishop Sullivan.

“The bishop’s visit always brings excitement to the inmates and his homilies are so personal and inspiring. These inmates are spiritually fed, and they take that same message and share it with those who were not there,” he said. “And after the bishop’s visit, there is an increase in the number of inmates in the Catholic services the following weeks. That is true evangelization.”

In addition to the bishop’s visits, Kisanna Owens, Catholic Charities’ Re-entry Program Director, works with recently-released men and women to help them get back on their feet, stay out of jail, and find employment — critical steps toward self-sufficiency. The program is funded by a grant from the Francis Fund, established in honor of the visit of Pope Francis to the U.S. in September 2015.

Clothing the Naked

Thrift stores are the most obvious of Catholic Charities’ services that address the call to “clothe the naked,” but they do more than that. In addition to providing clothing, these thrift stores provide household items and are open to clients and the general public. With three thrift stores in the diocese (Atlantic County, Cumberland County and Salem County), these stores are able to give out free clothing to the homeless each month, as well as bring in sales revenue, which is then funneled back into direct client services.

Additionally, diaper banks in all six counties address the critical need for diapers faced by so many mothers living in poverty. One particularly notable event was Catholic Charities’ diocesan-wide drive, which collected diapers, baby wipes and other items.

Catholic Charities appealed to parishes, charitable organizations and individuals to conduct diaper and baby wipe drives, and thousands of diapers were collected and distributed at a “Showers of Mercy,” held in five locations throughout the diocese on Nov. 18.

Refugee children count the tickets they won during a cup-stacking game, which they then exchanged for prizes donated by parishes, individuals and volunteers. Fifty families attended the Mother Teresa Day of Service — all of whom walked away with prizes and a closer connection to the community.Welcoming the Stranger

Catholic Charities’ work with refugees from all over the world is a part of the Catholic Church’s larger response to the call of “welcoming the stranger.”

The Catholic Charities Office of Refugee Resettlement Services helps to ease human suffering and encourage self-sufficiency for those newly arrived. It teaches the American values of independence and individuality while supporting the tradition of a strong family unit.

“On behalf of the USCCB Committee on Migration and all the bishops of the United States, we express our deepest appreciation for your hard work and tremendous dedication of your refugee program staff,” said Father Eusebio Elizondo, chairman of the USCCB Committee on Migration. “In this past fiscal year that saw an increase of 15,000 refugees admitted to the United States, your staff was able to more than meet this challenge.”

Refugee Resettlement is an intensive venture that requires specialized care to support those newly-arrived families to assimilate and participate in the bounty that America has to offer. Overcoming past trauma, culture shock, and language barriers, clients receive customized services designed to enhance their self-sufficiency in preparation for living productive, independent lives in the community.

Throughout the year, Catholic Charities and the Diocese of Camden also hosted several social events for refugees, including summer carnivals, a Halloween trick-or-treat party and pumpkin carving, and festivals in which school supplies were distributed to low-income families. These events were intended to introduce refugees to American culture and give them an opportunity to feel part of the community and the country as they continue to assimilate.

In September, Catholic Charities and the diocese honored Mother Teresa’s recent canonization with a day of service, which included a festival for over 50 refugee families. Catholic Charities on Haddon Avenue, Camden, opened its facilities to host dozens of refugee families, turning the parking lot into a carnival filled with games, face painting, pets, food, prizes and dozens of eager volunteers.

The Jubilee of Mercy may have ended but, as Pope Francis has said, mercy continues. “Mercy is the very foundation of the church’s life,” he said. “Nothing in her preaching and in her witness to the world can be lacking in mercy.”
Pastor and son beat 12-year-old with an electrical cord as punishment for ‘rejecting faith’

Authorities in Minneapolis, MN last week arrested a pastor and his son on assault charges after a 12-year-old boy filed a criminal complaint alleging the pair beat him with a 2-by-4 inside the church, the StarTribune reports.Good News Mission Church pastor Dong Wook Kim and his 19-year old son Joo Seong Kim face two counts of assault and one count of malicious punishment of a child after police say they beat the victim with wood and an electrical cord as a form of religious discipline between Dec. 14 and 17. According to the StarTribune, the Kims felt their young victim was “misbehaving in school and had rejected his faith.” The victim told police his 4-year old sister similarly suffered abuse.After one of the beatings, the victim was taken to a hospital after a neighbor found him wanting the streets in the cold having fled the church while his assaulters were distracted. He exhibited bruising over his body, including “one of which was the approximate size of a football,” as well as large lash marks on his back.

Dong Wook Kim, the pastor, told police he beat the kid because the boy had “wanted to test god.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2016/12 ... cting-faith-police/
返回列表
高級模式 | 發新話題
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies
換一個