Don't know where God is but the Devil is in the details
回覆 106# 抽刀斷水

咁係超長基版....昆我話超短, 唔怪之得染色大師唔睬您啦
冇deadline嘅job就緊係拖得就拖....

who said so? <---- 係「邊個話" Logic cannot solve everything." 」咁解。
您嘅意思應該係: Who said it does?"

不符合衛生標準 係"fail to meet hygiene standards."
咁用who said it can 襯返cannot啦。

OK to say "fail to comply with" but you don't really need the "certain" here.

must have an an intelligent designer. Take away the "had"

"human" is the whole group of us, doesn't need the "s".
回覆 114# dye

I told him in the 1st place, his head seemed to be fueled by Chinese while running an English train.......(for the length)

I am afraid there is not much we can do, I just picked the very visible 1's. I just don't have the guts to say it is incorrect just because he said it is "short" instead of "quick".... So, thank you too.
Talking about trains, perhaps I can use it to explain some translation tricks.
Sometimes, 準確≠正確

If you go aboard a train in China, this is the announcement you'll hear : 旅客們.....
But on a train in the English world, they will only start with "Ladies and gentlemen...."

If you translate the the Chinese announcement with "Travelers....", it would be a little rude /odd. But can I say you are incorrect? Logically speaking 旅客們 is even more accurate -- because "Ladies and gentlemen " ruled out the kids. The only problem is "Travelers" just doesn't sound like English.

I think this is the situation we are going through.
======================================================
Pastors / preachers / religious teachers said that religion X had ...... problems.<---- has."had"  indicates used to have, but now it has gone.

a wide range of debates were raised on criticizing the discrimination of churches  <-----  a wide range of debates has been raised
In general, you have too many "you no longer need to", to keep it simple, "you don't have to" is a good phrase to use.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Big house. In North America, a house with 10 rooms is big, not large.

All the 10 doors are closed. <- all doors are closed. You don't presume 1 door per room.

Therefore at least you need to open 1 door. > Therefore you at least need to open 1 door.

there is no golden eggs >- there are no golden eggs, or there is no golden egg.

2. If you need to prove that there is no golden eggs in all rooms, you must open all doors.  You are unable to prove it even just 1 of the doors hasn't opened.
2. To prove there is no golden egg in the house, you must open all doors. You cannot prove the non-existence even with 1 room left.

You are unable to prove it doesn't exist if just 1 door has not been opened, and the number of doors is infinite.
When the number of doors is infinite, you cannot prove its non-existence even with 1 door closed.

Corollary: For the case with infinite number of doors, it's still possible to prove something "exists", but it's impossible to prove it "doesn't exist". It is therefore nonsense to ask others to prove something "doesn't exist" for the case with infinite number of doors.
Corollary: For the case with infinite number of doors, it's still possible to prove existence, but it's impossible to prove non-existence. It is therefore nonsense to ask people to prove something "doesn't exist" in the case of infinite number of doors.

It is absolutely wrong to define it as "exists because you can't prove it doesn't exist"!
It is absolutely wrong  to define it as "it exists because you can't prove it doesn't."!

It's XXXX to believe in something which "may or may not exist" and deify it to the most degree, i.e. omnipotent. <-- Rewrite this, it is too Chinese, nobody can follow.

And, I don't know how to describe for someone who spreads around the thing that "may or may not exist". <--
I really don't know how to describe something "may or may not exist".

The above thoughtful questions are given to all christians and quasi-christians as a present.
The above thoughtful questions are for all Christians and quasi-Christians.
回覆 126# dye

I know, but his intention is to introduce this to the English world. People will take a house if they want a roomy residence there, rather than a penthouse in downtown.
In our real estate dictionary, a room is a kitchen, a bedroom, a living room, a dining room, a family room, an office or a den. It is not difficult to find a house with 10 rooms.
The idea of 10 doors is merely a "poor copy" of the famous celestial teapot argument (which is sound).
dye 發表於 2014/4/14 17:59

Can't agree more.
This 10 door house is just too complicated. I think argument of the existence of unicorn is much better, plain and simple, understandable to everybody.
羅紗蓮:「沙文你呃我,你心裏面仲有其他女人!」(又或,你心裏面存在其他女人)
dye 發表於 2014/4/15 21:06

「當然有....她就是....我和妳的愛女。」

「我們還未有女兒?這還不容易,我們現在馬上搞一個出來.....」
回覆 136# 抽刀斷水

For those people who spread around this "may or may not exist" thing, I really don't know what to say.
返回列表
高級模式 | 發新話題
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies
換一個